Sunday, March 9, 2008

Women’s Day

Today is the International Women’s Day, or so I’m told. Personally, I don’t really see the point of days like this. I don’t see the point of organising lectures which involve smug pseudo-activists promoting themselves. I don’t really know what marches are expected to achieve. And, like Debs, neither am I sure how doing things like making postcards helps much.
This, however, is an idea I love:
“Victims at risk of serious domestic violence are being given alarm pendants that summon police and can record conversations or attacks.”
[Victims can activate the alarm which automatically alerts the monitoring service which in turn informs police comms (communications centre) of the situation. Once the alarm is activated, all sound is recorded by the monitoring service thereby providing potential evidence.]
At least this has the potential difference to make a tangible difference in a woman’s life.
Link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4430221a10.html


No comments: