Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Slut Alert !?

I have no idea why I’m posting this other than because my jaw quite literally dropped when I read this comment by someone who used a woman’s name (in response to part of another comment which was taken out of context) about a lady in which she (?) said:
“…I mean, I’m like, this is a scandal, like. She’s a total slut. I mean like, she opened her crotch for FIVE DIFFERENT men!!! Hello!! Slut alert people!!! It’s so cool that well meaning people like you and your friend are informing everyone about the true colors of this cow. What a slut! Anyways, I’m off to sip on my latte. See you laters…”
Of all the smug women I’ve come across, I’m quite sure that this one takes the cake.
There are, of course, a number of theories which explain why women are so harsh on each other and most of them have to do with the oppressed becoming oppressors. Somehow, I’m not certain that Freire or anyone else can possibly explain (much less excuse) statements such as this from women who appear to belong to the educated upper-class, sip on latte (as opposed to drinking coffee as lesser mortals do) and like, well, talk like teenagers (although, presumably, they’re not).
As I’ve said earlier, I’ve never completely understood why women are so judgmental towards each other.
I remember once watching a war movie with an acquaintance in which a young woman who initially could not take care of her baby because she was in shock later managed to do so only by going into some sort of emotional paralysis.
The lady who was watching the film with me first condemned her for not taking care of the child and later on, for being too ‘matter-of-fact’ and showing no reaction to the carnage all around her. Both ways, she was deemed to be callous and consequently, worthless.
Her reactions left me stunned and it wasn’t just because they were so harsh; I think it was primarily because no matter what the young woman in the film did, she somehow wound up being in the wrong.
Moving away from reel life into real life, it seems sad to me that we seem to belong to a society where where women are often left accountable for things they have no reason to apologize for even to people who are not normally unkind and who have no intention of being hurtful or being cruel.
Link: http://www.thevoiceinmyhead.com/2008/03/14/so-whos-to-blame-for-what-happened-to-scarlett-keeling/#comment-34040

No comments: