Friday, March 7, 2008

High Heels

I adore high heels. Yes, I know that they’re bad for your legs and that they do nothing good for your back. And I did read the news of a study [1] recently about how they could help keep pelvic floor muscles in shape along with the feminist response to it: who cares if high heels help keep precisely those muscles which men are most interested in in shape at the cost of harming other parts of one’s body? (Incidentally, the study in question was conducted by a woman: Dr Maria Cerruto.)
But despite the fact that I love high heels, the story of a race in Amsterdam with competitors wearing stilettos [2] left me nonplussed. And made me think that Dutch roads must be incredibly well maintained; God knows, I wouldn’t dream of walking on an Indian road in stilettos much less running on one unless I actually wanted to break an ankle (or two).
[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7225828.stm
[2] http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080307/ap_on_fe_st/odd_stiletto_run

No comments: