Saturday, April 12, 2008

Fish Net Stockings Banned

Sometime ago the Wall Street Journal law blog discussed whether associates [at law firms] are too freewheeling with fashion [1] following the publication of this article. [2]

Now, it appears that a law firm in London has banned its staff from wearing fishnet stockings, because employees find them “distracting”. [3]

Responses to this [4] seem to vary from:
What a total load of tosh - it's all about their inadequacies, not yours! My male partners openly coo when I'm wearing Jimmy Choos, short skirts and nicely cut tops as it all reinforces the image they wish to project about themselves, the people they work with and the quality of bird they've attracted to the partnership. The fishnets though makes them feel uncomfortable - one step too close to their perceptions of tartiness!
Posted by: City Woman on 03 Apr 2008

to
Fishnet stockings? Are you out of your mind?? Which law firm do you work for? Soho Working Girls LLP? If you want to recognised for your legal skills rather than your ability to lie on your back, stop being so stubborn.
Posted by: Investment Banker on 03 Apr 2008

I'm not entirely certain I understand why fish net stockings have specifically been banned but although I'd love to wax eloquent about the importance of freedom and choice, I'm not sure whether everything is acceptable work wear or if a line should be drawn somewhere (though presumably not at fish net stockings -- yeah, I like them though I can't remember the last time I wore a pair; for some reason I usually get stuck in plain brown or beige ones.)

A while ago I heard of an Indian IT company banning gaudy Indian clothes from being worn at the office. Considering that a large fraction of Indian clothes are, well, loud, I'm not sure how that worked out.

Links:
[1]
blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/01/31/are-associates-too-freewheeling-with-fashion/
[2]
online.wsj.com/article/SB120175142140831193.html
[3]
timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/rod_liddle/article3689757.ece
[4]
legalweek.com/Navigation/28/Articles/1112050/Career+Clinic+Management+says+my+fishnets+are+a+distraction!.html

No comments: