Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Respecting Monuments

Reuters reports that a British man has been sentenced to five days’ detention for urinating on the ‘Freedom Monument’ in Latvia which was erected in 1935 as a symbol of the State’s resistance to foreign rule.
I am rather disgusted by his conduct especially since I can’t imagine any Briton ever behaving in a similar manner in his own country.
However, it also makes me think of the state in which many Indian monuments lie — not quite so much in a state of ruin but in a state of rubbish. The last time I went to Karla caves, it was well nigh impossible to go anywhere near parts of the the caves because of how much they stank, and I can’t think of too many times I’ve gone to a monument and failed to see graffiti of the ‘Sonu loves Monu’ variety etched into it.
I’m not sure why we don’t value monuments enough to be able to enjoy them without being disrespectful towards them.
Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL1988648520080219

No comments: