Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Terror Dream

by Susan Faludi
I've been reading extracts of the book online but I haven't been able to find it in a bookshop. I'd love to read the whole book through: it seems interesting and humourous (though more sarcastic than laugh-out-loud funny).
Reading the extracts reminded me of a conversation I'd had with a friend's mum some time ago where I'd told her that I felt as though over the last few years, the clock has been turned back in terms of women's 'liberation'. Not being an authority on the subject in any sense of the word though, I've rarely voiced the opinion.
It is, however, an opinion which the author of this book seems to share and build upon albeit in a different context: Faludi says that 9/11 revived traditional gender stereotypes.

No comments: